Wednesday, July 24, 2013

TRAVEL: The Ruins at Talisay City, Negros Occidental

The Ruins at Talisay City, Bacolod
The moment I saw images of The Ruins on photos and social networks, I vowed to myself that I will visit this magnificent place before I die. Lo and behold, I was very fortunate enough to fit a side trip to Bacolod in our eventful Cebu escapade. 

My experience was rather embarrassing. Really. I was literally screaming my lungs out at the sight of The Ruin's chimney. Apparently, I was also shouting out phrases that I didn't know were inside my freaking mind! A sample phrase would be "Gusto ko na magpakasal! Now na!" ("I want to get married right at this very moment!") and other embarrassing statements that I choose not to disclose in this blog. HAHAHA! I was thankful that none of my friends (and also the parents of our host whom I just met a few hours before I started acting all possessed) who were with me inside the car didn't disown me or condemned me to death. 

Anyhoo, before I go berserk with excitement again let me tell you the top 10 interesting facts that I learned about The Ruins:

1. The beautiful mansion was owned by Don Mariano Ledesma Lacson and his first wife, Maria Braga Lacson. It was the biggest structure in Talisay City at that time and it housed furniture and home items from different parts of Europe and Asia. 

2. The owners originally had an azucarera (sugar plantation) within their lot hence the sight of the tall and beautiful brick chimney in front of the mansion. 


Superb building and construction skills, people! Two thumbs up! 
3. The mixture of cement used to build the the mansion had eggshells on them. That's probably why its walls will still feel very smooth when you touch them.

4. During World War II, the locals together with the Americans burnt the mansion down so as to prevent the Japanese from converting it to their very own headquarters and fortress. The other house that the owners evacuated to was also taken down together with the nice furniture and most of its photos, hence you will never find a photo of the mansion in its full form. 


These steps used to have thick planks of wood. It was mentioned that even the bolts and screws used here are made out of wood. 
Would you believe that the embellishments of the structure was able to survive 3 days of burning?
5. It took approximately 3 long days to burn the structure down primarily because of the wood used in building the mansion. Despite the long hours of burning the mansion down, its main frame and some of the intricate details are still present. Just imagine how sturdy are the materials used in building this house!

Love that would last for eternity! It's written all over The Ruins!
6. Cheesy fact: If you look closely at the mansion's pillars, you will see patterns that would resemble a letter "E" and a number "3". These are actually two letter Ms facing each other which stands for the first letter of the first names of the owners, Don Mariano Ledesma Lacson and Maria Braga. It was believed to symbolize their eternal love and adoration for each other. And as cheesy as it sounds, the pillars and its markings are still here and will forever stand the test of time. Aaaawww... 

7. It was also mentioned during the tour that the children of the mansion owners had to move out right away if they choose to marry. Marrying also voids the children's shares and ownership of the mansion and other land properties. 


The facade of the mansion naturally emits romance and passion. 
8. You can actually rent out the place for pre-nups, weddings, events and concerts. Woot! Woot! And yes, when we were there I mentioned (like a hundred times) that I want to have ONE OF MY pre-nup photo shoots at that place. HAHAHA! 

9. Mr. Ramon Hofileña, by far the best tourist guide I've ever met, helped discover and revive this landmark a few years back. He said that he found this spot all cluttered with a few informal settlers within its premises. He insisted to do a clean up and actually turn it into a tourist spot. Good job! 

10. At present, The Ruins is considered the "Taj Majal" of Bacolod and is recognized as one of the best ruins both locally and worldwide.


In any angle, The Ruins just seems very perfect to me. I love it! 

For me, this landmark is beyond the elegant structure, greenery and ambiance. Its all about the energy that you get from the stories of glory, downfall and redemption wrapped around its premises. Its walls just seems to house so much emotion and culture that naturally inspires me to fall in love with life altogether. :)

Blogoblab Tip: If you're planning to go and visit The Ruins, it's best if you rent out your personal vehicle and driver since its situated inside a village. Make sure you also check the schedule of the tour first so that you won't miss out on the explanations and stories about the landmark. For more information, you can visit their website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment